Mini Book Reviews: The False Prince & Re-Reading


Photo credit: Goodreads
So I’ve found that now that I’ve been reading more, I’ve really enjoyed the mini-book review system in which I give a little blurb about everything I’ve read over the past thirty days. Hopefully you lovely readers enjoy the system as well.

Now I’ll admit I’ve been a little negligent with the mini-book review system as I failed to post one last month, largely due to the fact that I’ve been doing a lot of re-reading as of late. In honor of The Hunger Games movie release, I re-read the trilogy in March, and now as Insurgent by Veronica Roth will be released in a DAY, it goes without saying that I spent time this month re-reading Divergent. (If you’d like to see my review, I posted it a while back here).

However! Divergent wasn’t the only book I read this month as I was fortunate enough to see an ad for The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen, which lead me to track down the online sample, which lead me to promptly buy the book. All very fortunate indeed, because I loved it.

Firstly! The summary from Goodreads:

"THE FALSE PRINCE is the thrilling first book in a brand-new trilogy filled with danger and deceit and hidden identities that will have readers rushing breathlessly to the end. 
In a discontent kingdom, civil war is brewing. To unify the divided people, Conner, a nobleman of the court, devises a cunning plan to find an impersonator of the king's long-lost son and install him as a puppet prince. Four orphans are recruited to compete for the role, including a defiant boy named Sage. Sage knows that Conner's motives are more than questionable, yet his life balances on a sword's point -- he must be chosen to play the prince or he will certainly be killed. But Sage's rivals have their own agendas as well. 
As Sage moves from a rundown orphanage to Conner's sumptuous palace, layer upon layer of treachery and deceit unfold, until finally, a truth is revealed that, in the end, may very well prove more dangerous than all of the lies taken together.
An extraordinary adventure filled with danger and action, lies and deadly truths that will have readers clinging to the edge of their seats."

Besides the action and fabulous pacing, what I really loved about The False Prince was Sage—the first-person narrator. It can be very difficult to pull off an unreliable narrator convincingly, especially in first person, but Nielsen nailed it. Sage is witty and admirable, but flawed and makes more than a few face-desk-worthy mistakes, and to top it off, there are twists that I really enjoyed.

For all those reasons and more I highly recommend it.

What have you read/re-read as of late? Anyone else re-reading Divergent in anticipation of Insurgent? 

6 comments:

inluvwithwords said...

This has been getting a lot of great buzz lately. Thanks for the review, I'm adding it to my list.

Ava Jae said...

Sure thing! It's a fantastic read--I hope you enjoy it! 

Farhan said...

Hey Ms. Jae. Hope you are fine.

I was wondering that is there a limit on the number of images one can use on one's blog from Goodreads? Besides, is it true that book covers and movie posters are exempted from copyright laws and one is free to use them on one's blog?

Ava Jae said...

Hello Farhan! I've been doing very well, thanks. Hope everything's been going well for you as well. :)


I'm not an expert in copyright law, so I'd encourage you to research it a bit yourself, but from my understanding book covers and movie posters and thinks of the like aren't necessarily exempt from copyright law, but can be used under the fair usage clause. I personally just like to be extra careful which is why I try to always credit my sources. As for there being a limit of images you can use from Goodreads...I honestly have no idea. As far as I know there isn't, but I suppose there could be? I'm not sure. (If there is I doubt I've reached the limit...but...who knows?)

Farhan said...

Yes I'm fine thank you.

Okay I will research it. Yes I too think that if one is reviewing a book then probably one is allowed to use the book cover under fair usage. But I too am using some book covers on my blog and so I need to be sure about this copyright thing.

Running a blog is really hectic. One has to care about so many nitty-gritty things. But still I love it. Thanks for replying.

Ava Jae said...

Sure thing, Farhan! Running a blog can definitely involve more elements than you might have imagined before launch (but I agree it's worth it). I wish you the best!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...