Discussion: When Do You Read?

Photo credit: henkrup on Flickr
So over the weekend I read two books in two mornings (George by Alex Gino and Charm & Strange by Stephanie Kuehn, both of which were excellent), and a few days before that I completed my Goodreads challenge of 50 books for this year. Which got me thinking about my reading habits this year.

When I have a lot of work, whether it’s writing or schoolwork or both, I find that I tend to do most of my reading in the afternoon/early evenings, right after I’ve finished my work, but before I’ve checked out for the day. When I took public transportation earlier in the year, I read a lot on the bus, and throughout the school year I occasionally try to read before or between classes.

When I have more free time and/or dedicate a day to reading, as I did this weekend, I’ve found that I really like reading in the morning after I’ve completed my morning work. There was something really nice about cuddling up with a book and reading a large chunk of a story (or, in the case of this weekend, the whole story) and still having the rest of the day to do whatever my heart desires.

So, I guess in a sense, I don’t necessarily read at a consistent time—I just try to steal minutes whenever I can and before I’ve gone into braindead zombie mode (AKA: after 5PM). And sometimes this means I don’t get a whole lot of reading done that day, but sometimes it means I get way more done than I expected.

Overall, I’ve found that making a point to read (almost) every day, even if it’s only a couple pages a day, has not only been great for my reading habits, but has really allowed me to enjoy way more books than I would’ve imagined possible for myself a couple years ago. And I still have eight weeks left to read even more this year. :)

When do you generally read? Do you have a set time and place or are your reading habits more erratic? 

Twitter-sized bite:
When do you usually read? Join the discussion on @Ava_Jae's blog. (Click to tweet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...